Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 5 - Seaweed and Crabs

The first week of camp is over and I feel very happy.  Not because it's over, that's not what I mean.  I feel very happy because I decided to come to California and I know I made the right decision.  Today was full of new experiences at camp, just as the other days have been, and I feel confident that this will be the trend for the rest of my stay.  =)

We went to Hendry's Beach for marine biology day and collected data on sand crabs with the kids.  They all got pretty excited about flipping the crabs over and moving their little "tails" (?) to find out whether it was a male or female.  Great last day of camp at the beach.

Also, we were all spoiled enough to have authentic Chumash (a Native American tribe in the area) food for snack time.  There was bread and acorn mash and chia squares and dried seaweed.  Most of the flavors were pretty new to me and I'm hoping to get a couple of the recipes before I leave.  If you guys are lucky enough back home maybe I can fake my way through making some of it so you can experience it too.  Hey Mama, we should do different Native American foods for one of our themed dinner nights!

Today was a pretty relaxed day after camp and Kayla and I went for a walk around her neighborhood after dinner.  Stellar.

No comments:

Post a Comment