Monday, June 6, 2011

Day 2 - Rocks, Volunteers, and Kale

What a beautiful day.

Today was "Geology Day" at camp and we got to take a long hike around the area where the farm is.  It was a day about dirt, rocks, and getting to know everyone.  This week the group of kids are 5th-8th graders and they all come from diverse backgrounds.  Different religions, different schools, different lives. 

I also got to tour the farm, which left me kind of speechless.  This is a 3 acre farm that is worked on by just a few people consistently each week and on average it produces 90 lbs. of food for families in the community.  Strawberries, broccoli, beans, cilantro, chard, zucchini, tomatoes, carrots...and the list goes on.  Tonight was volunteer night from 5-7pm, so there was a small group of us that weeded for a couple of hours.  Below is a picture of some of the stuff from the farm.  My favorite crop I saw today was the garlic.  The garlic is in the front of the picture with the long, spiky green leaves.  Hah, and since I have about a 2 liter of minced garlic in my fridge back home it's groovy to see what it looks like in the ground.






Finally, the farm provided our dinner tonight and my plate was full of new experiences.  Roasted beets and carrots, sauteed beet greens, and kale salad.  Deee-licious.  A great day 2 in Santa Barbara and a great day 1 on the farm. =)

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I am so happy for you! My mama said I can come visit or you guys can come visit anytime.

    ReplyDelete