Sunday, June 3, 2012

Rain or shine, we're feeling fine

First week of work is done. And, hello! I love it so far.  Okay, so I know that I am just really excited and probably getting a lot ahead of myself.  But still, nothing wrong with going in a little extra optimistic. I am working in a good environment with good people. And the mission of the program is great.  Green Youth Farm uses farming to help teach high school students greater confidence, maturity, motivation, work-readiness skills, awareness of the impacts of foods and food systems, increased interest in community development...etc, etc. I kind of cut and pasted some of that from the program's mission, but you get the idea. =)

The weather was all over the place this week on the farm.  Rain and 49 degrees one day and sunny 75 degree weather a couple days later.  On the rainy day we took advantage of the situation by sharpening some tools and taking care of some stuff back at the office at Chicago Botanic Garden. The other days we were able to spend on the farm which is in North Chicago/Waukegan.  One of the days was mostly consumed with harvesting and processing about 40 pounds of mixed lettuce.  Side note, this experience is different from my last community gardening experience because we sell the produce from these farms oppose from Five Loaves last summer in which everything was donated.  That aspect is pretty cool not only because it helps make the program more sustainable, but also because the high school students get to help out with the farmstands.  This gives them more exposure to farmers markets as well as cash-handling and customer service skills.  

I met the students for the first time this Saturday and that greatly contributed to me having such a positive outlook on this summer.  We only worked together for a few hours and I wasn't really sure what to expect, but it's an encouraging and diverse group of kids. More later. =)

p.s. I would like to pass on a website that my mama passed on to me. If you are interested in buying local, check out farmplate.com to see what orchards, farmers markets, restaurants, vineyards, etc are near you. Making buying local a real walk in the park if ya know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment