Sunday, June 10, 2012

Beach weekend! Hollar!

Rejuvenation!  After a week spent on the farm, I was looking forward to some downtime this weekend.  And woo hoo, I cleaned my apartment and enjoyed myself hanging out around Evanston. Success!  My first weekend priority was going to the farmers market in town.


I stocked up on some really great produce as well as pickled mushrooms, which are freaking delicious.  This was my first time trying them, and I kind of feel addicted.  So so good.  Better than green olives.  Which I didn't know was possible.


I went to the beach Saturday and Sunday and enjoyed Lake Michigan in the 80 degree weather.  The beaches are a bit different here than back home because they are much more controlled.  The beach areas are fenced off, fairly small, and lifeguards enforce swim zones.  Which isn't a bad thing, just different.  And in no way did that alter my ability to completely enjoy myself and the lake.  Oh and I was able to sit under the shade of a tree in the blazing weather, which at the time just made it seem even more perfect.


I also spent some time enjoying the downtown Evanston area, walking around shops, getting some reading in, things like that.  I found an especially great place, Unicorn Cafe, which reminds me of Kaya from Mount Pleasant.  Great atmosphere, great music, great coffee...that's really all I am usually looking for in a coffee shop.  It looks like I will probably end up spending quite a bit of time there. I'm currently reading 'Grub' by Anne Lappe and Bryant Terry.  It's a book which focuses on ideas for an urban organic kitchen and  I recommend it to anyone interested in the topic that doesn't feel like reading Michael Pollan's 100 pages on corn.  I mean, I know, he writes great stuff.  But to me Grub is much more of a leisurely, friendly read. Which I can appreciate. =)


Finished off the weekend with a glass of wine and a skype dinner date with Mitch. Thank goodness for skype. And wine. Hahah, back to the farm tomorrow morning.  Looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment